Category Archives: FAQs

What should I tell my insurance company after a car accident?

Insurance agents and adjusters, whether it is under your policy or another driver’s, represent the insurance company, not you. Their jobs depend on offering the lowest amount of compensation possible after an accident. You should report an accident to your own car insurance company after a collision, but only state facts – do not speculate about potential causes of the incident. Your statement is recorded by the insurance company and anything you say may be used against you. You should consult with a lawyer before making a recorded statement to any insurance company representative. Although you should report the accident to your own insurance company, do not talk to the insurance company that represents the other driver involved in the accident until you discuss your legal rights with a lawyer. The other driver’s insurance company will likely try to offer you an unreasonably low settlement, mislead or coerce you into admitting fault…
Read More »

Posted in Car Accident FAQ | Leave a comment

What type of compensation am I entitled to receive?

The amount and type of money damages you are entitled to recover depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. When the accident is caused by another person’s negligence, you may recover damages, which include: Medical bills, including emergency room costs, surgical procedures, physician and chiropractor costs and hospital costs Lost wages and earning capacity resulting from your injury Physical pain and suffering Emotional distress and mental anguish Costs of physical therapy and rehabilitation Exacerbation or worsening of a pre-existing condition Disability Disfigurement Wrongful death, including loss of financial support and loss of companionship Loss of enjoyment of life Loss of consortium by a spouse You may recover money for damages occurring in the past, present and future.

Posted in Car Accident FAQ | Leave a comment

What if the person who hit me was drunk or on drugs or left the scene?

If the police report or witnesses indicate that the driver of the vehicle that caused the car wreck was under the influence of alcohol or drugs or left the scene, then you may be entitled to recover punitive damages in addition to actual damages. It is difficult to determine the extent of these damages but they may be substantial. You should promptly contact a lawyer in order to properly evaluate these damages and ensure your legal rights are protected.

Posted in Car Accident FAQ | Leave a comment