What To Do After a Truck Accident
Information Brought to You by Columbia Injury Lawyers
Truck accidents are devastating, and can leave you with severe injuries that may affect you permanently. Experiencing a truck or big rig accident can also be traumatizing, with many individuals and families not knowing where to turn to for help. Your legal rights and ability to gain compensation may be the last thing on your mind.
However, following a semi truck accident, attorneys and investigators for the trucking company often appear quickly on the scene to minimize the companyâ€™s liability and limit your right to compensation. The Columbia injury attorneys at Proffitt & Cox, LLP want you to know what to do after a semi accident to improve your opportunity to receive compensation after suffering serious injuries in a truck accident caused by negligence.
What Do I Do After a Truck Accident?
Following a collision with a big rig or another type of commercial truck, it is beneficial to take the following measures to protect your health as well as your right to gain recovery:
- Seek medical attention. Determine if you or any passengers suffered any injuries and, if possible, arrange for emergency medical services immediately. Many injuries may not be obvious right after an accident but can worsen and cause serious pain over time, which is why you must allow a medical professional to examine and treat any injuries as soon as possible.
- Only state facts, and do not blame yourself for the accident. Answer any police questions completely and honestly, but do not speculate. Do not speak to the truck driver any more than is necessary. Do no apologize for the accident, even if you believe you may be at fault. Clear your head and allow the investigators to determine the cause of the collision. Remember, the trucking company will seek to use any admission of guilt against you in the court of law.
- Take pictures of the damage, if possible. You can use your cell phone or any other camera to capture images of your vehicle, the truck, any skid marks and anything else affected by the collision.
- Gather information, if possible. Get the name, license number and insurance information of the truck driver, and record the license plates of all the vehicles involved in the crash. Get contact information of witnesses if possible.
- Do not immediately send your car to the repair shop. You may want to forget about the accident as soon as possible and return to your routine, but the damage sustained by your car may reveal important evidence needed to support your case.
- Contact our South Carolina injury lawyers. Proffitt & Cox, LLP can preserve important evidence and help build your case. After a truck accident, the trucking company and its insurance carrier will be on the scene almost immediately. They will attempt to gain control of the evidence. Without your own attorney demanding all evidence be preserved, crucial information may be lost. Do not hesitate to contact a qualified attorney immediately after a truck accident.
What to Do After Suffering a Truck Accident Injury
Gaining the right legal support is crucial for any trucking accident case. Our Columbia injury lawyersÂ know how to hold the negligent parties liable for truck crashes caused by negligence, and use their legal knowledge to secure compensation for victims. If you suffered an injury from a big rig accident, contact our injury law firm today by phone at (803) 834-7097 for a free consultation. Truck accident victims and their families can also call the firm toll free at (877) 834-7097, or reach out to us online through our contact form.